Saturday, March 24, 2012

Asking Amazon to listen

Hi everyone, today I'm going to post something from my friend Sarah Billington, who can say this much better than myself:

As you know, independent authors put a lot of time and energy into our writing and we are so thankful for the opportunity Amazon provides for us to earn a living doing what we love. Except a lot of that living is stripped from us through bank charges for processing international cheques.

I was excited to receive my first two cheques recently, smallfry compared to some authors, one was for $17, the other for $56. Except my bank charges $25 to bank a single cheque.

For my $17 cheque, I will be paying THEM to bank it for me. If I choose not to cash in my royalties on that $17 cheque, it makes it nothing but a pretty piece of paper. A piece of paper that represents about 51 readers.

Of my $73 in royalties, $50 would go toward bank fees, leaving me with $23US (not that I can actually deposit the $17 cheque at all). BEFORE currency conversion to Australian dollars.

I am just one example. Other banks charge $40 to process international cheques. I have heard of another author whose country of residence will not process US cheques so they have to GO TO ANOTHER COUNTRY to deposit royalties.

Smashwords pays authors via PayPal so it can't be too hard for Amazon to do so, or update Amazon Payments so that international users can be paid that way as well.

It would also save Amazon money on international postage of cheques. Win-win, right?
I know and believe that Amazon cares about its authors and this step would help us all across the globe.

If you are interested in Sarah's message and would like to support the cause, please visit her petition here. And feel free to spread the word!


What are your thoughts in this? Do you think Amazon can be convinced to change? Do you think it's necessary? Are you a self-published author having a similar problem?

2 comments:

  1. That sucks! I can't believe Amazon can't figure out a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Sari.
    I'm sure they CAN find a better way, but people need to demand it.

    ReplyDelete