Sunday, April 1, 2012

A is for apples ... and other things

Oh wow. Did I really sign up for this? I think I'm getting dangerously close to that very annoying line: biting off more than I can chew.

Well, anywho, onwards and upwards, and to the business of the day: the letter A. Or, more specifically, something that starts with A that will be fun to write about (and hopefully read about). Do you know how hard it is to think of a word that starts with a specific letter when you absolutely have to? Hard! I mean, I came up with a few ideas: apples (crunchy are best, nuff said), Argentina (I don't really know anything about it, but I would like to), aphrodisiac (...).

I settled on ... audience. The people you write for (other than yourself). I could have talked about the audience you write stories for, and was going to, but instead I decided to focus on blogging audience, since we've just started a month long blogging bonanza.

Who do you write for? This is a question I've struggled with a few times, over the life of my blog, and I think it's shown from time to time. Am I writing this blog for myself? Other writers? Readers? What is my goal? Do I want to impart knowledge (I don't have a whole lot of this, so perhaps not the best strategy)? Commiserate? Share amazing finds (book related of course)? Build my platform for the one day dream of getting published?

There are so many directions this blog could go in, and all I really know is that I want it to be about the things I am passionate about: reading, writing and books. I think I'm going to use this month to figure out the future of the blog, try and solidify a goal, and then keep trucking.


Do you know who your blogging audience is? Is it who you intended, or have you gone off track? What are your thoughts on this?


PS. I also toyed with adamantium as my letter A, but then realised I had nothing to say about it and would only have chosen the topic because I wanted to include a picture of Hugh Jackman in all his Wolverine glory, which I'm going to do anyway.

21 comments:

  1. Great post Sari! I don't (yet) have much of a blogging audience, but am happy to take on any followers... the more the merrier!

    I think one has to blog for their own benefit. I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't think it could help me in some way; either through the pure pleasure of writing, being able to meet other like-minded individuals, or by opening up opportunities through my blogging (the ultimate aim).

    Good luck with the rest of your A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Evan. I agree that ultimately you need to be blogging for yourself, or where's the fun, but the rest of your comment pinpoints why you also need to keep your audience in mind: meeting other like-minded people and opening opportunities.

      Good luck to you too! :)

      Delete
  2. I personally have no idea who my blogging audience is. I get the most visits from other writers, I think, but my post subjects are so all over the place that it's probably hard for people to figure out what the blog's about.

    And there's nothing wrong with pictures of Hugh Jackman in all his Wolverine glory. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I didn't think anyone would object to pictures of Hugh. ;)

      I think a lot of us writer bloggers are blogging to other writers, it's part of what makes this online writing community so awesome and tight-knit. At the same time, I want people who are just interested in books in general to find something of interest here, and I think I need to work on that.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hello, Fellow Challenger, from #424-Rockin'Chair Reflections! I don't care what you write about, you've posted Hugh Jackman. 'Nuff said. Look forward to future posts and more HJ pix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharlene, glad I could appease the HJ cravings. ;) I'll be stopping by your blog soon!

      Delete
  4. My first draft is written for me. I'm writing a story or blog to see where it takes me. After, I edit for my audience.

    As for audience makeup, I think your topic serves as both compass and magnet. You can't be all things to all people, so pick a niche you love, make the most of it, and an audience will be drawn to you.

    A/American Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice, Joe, and so eloquently put. I love books. I love writing. I love reading. These are the things I want to focus on.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for putting HughJ up. I'm really enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! Any time, my friend. Any time. ;)

      Delete
  6. I think knowing the audience you write for is one key to success for every writer. Good A word!

    I'm here to say hi and welcome you to the Challenge!

    KarenG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Karen. So important to know the people we're trying to connect with.

      Thanks for the welcome! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Sari!

    Nice Hugh Jackman photos. Always appreciated. Most of my readers are human beings, and also writers. I tend not to post so much about craft because I don't love writing about it, but the nice thing about writers is that they tend to be interested in just about anything, so long as it involves a little bit of depth.

    This month I'm posting researchy tidbits that can be used as story prompts. Hope to see you again this month.

    A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of your readers are human beings? I'd love to hear about the minority who aren't.

      Also, just saw your post on the hot bee ball - definitely good sci fi material!

      Delete
  8. You can never go wrong with a picture of Hugh Jackman :-)
    Most of the people who read my blog are writers, some of them come for the music. I just write about whatever's on my mind. I haven't been found out yet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, that's a great way to keep a blog going, for sure. I find when I think about it too much I get blog burn, and end up disappearing for a while. Sometimes I think I worry too much about what I'm going to write.

      Delete
  9. This is very thought-provoking question--who IS my audience? Gee, I'm not really sure nor am I sure it's remained constant. Great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things change in the bloggy world. I think I lost a lot of my audience when I took an extended blogger hiatus, but I'm back now! :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Sari, this is a tough challenge indeed. My audience is generally from Malaysia, but also includes friends from all over the world. I'm basically blogging about our lives in Kuantan, Malaysia, doing my very best to show everyone what a lovely place Kuantan is and to invite you to come here for your next holiday!

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duncan, I've never heard of Kuantan before. Clearly I need to visit your blog!

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Great post and I absolutely love your theme! :)

    ReplyDelete