Thursday, September 2, 2010

A glitch in the system

Just when I thought I had it all figured out, a whole bunch of new variables came into play. To sum it up into one sentance:

Ollie has (as good as) been offered a job in Melbourne.

A good job. A job he would love to do.

To recap, I have finally figured out that I want to spend the rest of my life working with books, and to do that I want to get into Publishing. To get into publishing I need to do the post-grad diploma in publishing & editing which is offered in only one place in NZ: Wellington. Oh and to cap it off, it's incredibly hard to get into and I would only know if I was successful in December.

Now there is the possibility of moving to Melbourne, which, don't get me wrong, would be pretty awesome. I did some research last night and there are three similar courses in publishing offered in Melbourne, all of which are also incredibly hard to get into.

From what I have read of all the courses, the Wellington one still sounds the best. It seems far more hands on, with more contact with the real world of publishing. It would be my first choice. It's also about a third of the cost of the Melbourne courses.

I think, for now, we have decided I will apply for all the courses, given how difficult they are to get into, and thereby increasing my chances of getting into one. Then the decision of where to go would be made in December when I know if I have gotten into any and if so which one. This could change, depending on how long Ollie can delay accepting the job for. Regardless, I will still apply for all four, we can still make firm decisions later.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think that is AWESOME! Go Sari! Go Ollie! Go team, YAY!