Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's time to get serious..

About my goals. I know, I know, everyone's blogging about resolutions at the moment and it's starting to get a little old, but I feel like I need to write this down in order to stay accountable to myself.

In my December pre-resolutions I had a number of things I wanted to achieve. I've decided I'm going to cut those back to one. I still want to do exercise and all those other good things, but I want to put my focus onto the most important one to me.

I want to have my first draft finished and start revising it by April this year.

This means I need to make sure I write every day (within reason - sometimes it's just not possible and I'm not going to beat myself up for skipping a day every few weeks). At the moment I'm going over what has already been written because the lack of progress recently has fuzzied my recollection of events and I want to make sure I don't leave any glaring plot holes. I want to have this done and start getting new words by Wednesday next week.

Because I'm also very much a numbers person I'll be tracking my progress with a writer's report card type spreadsheet, and probably posting progress here too. The more public the more accountable.

Right now, based on 85 working days, I need to be getting minimum 513 words per day to reach my words target. I can do that.

How are you all planning to stick to your goals this year? Is this something you generally find easy, or do you lack in self motivation too?

No comments:

Post a Comment